Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tale of Two Rivers




It was the worst of times and it was the best of times. Let me tell you the tale of the Black Canyon.
I arrived at 11 ish, the song from my car speakers blasted the aptly named song by the Cars,"hello, hello again". One car in the parking lot (found out later those yokels were shooting rock chucks) so I had the river to myself, a first. I quickly headed upstream a bit.. tied on a royal wulff and started casting. It was therapeutic to just enjoy the act of casting a dry on a large river.. haven’t done that for a while.
After a half hour of no rises, I added a dropper, and in a bit had landed a little rainbow. Added another in short order. That was it for 3 hours. I switched up flies many times, dry only, different droppers, nothing. As fatigue weighed in and concentration waned, I decided to switch up one more time. I put on a massive stimulator (stimulator?, I hardly know her) and tied on a bead head prince nymph (party like its 1999!) That’s when the action began. After one cast, I was fighting a jumpy bow… and so it went for a half hour. I landed 9 or 10, all decent size. I had started using different techiques, ie.. stripping that nymph, swinging it, and a little jiggle, teasing those fish into striking. The Gov'na would have been proud.











I was having a grand ole time, just like Black Canyon used to be. Things I forgot though. How hard it is to wade in that river, how you need a wading staff, need a net, need more nymphs, and how strong those rainbows are. I'm making this note to self.. bring those things next time! And bring a sinking tip line, with streamers! (n.t.s.)



that last trout was a dandy.... He flashed at my fly twice before taking it, right along the bank. He took off downstream, into that fast water.. I was holding on for dear life.. trying to keep from breaking off, and trying like mad to get downriver, after him. Those of you who've been to that river know how treacherous it is to "run" downriver after a fish...after 15 min & a hundred yards, I finally coaxed him into shallow water where I was able to "corral" him with my boots (I need new boots). Enough said, what an ending... all told 71 miles from my door (1 1/2 hours, n.t.s.) I must go back, soon.

3 comments:

Pablo said...

have you noticed how the videos are extremely pixelated after you upload them? or is that just me? When they are on my computer, they are very clear, once uploaded the quality takes a nose dive... blogger must change them. sucks.

The Gov'na said...

I think we need a different venue for this- surely there is another technology we can use to post video and text, since it's not really for public consumption. This blog site has to skim down the video so much that the quality is really poor.

MULE- Since you never go fishing, find us a new technology- that can be your mission till we hit AK.

The Gov'na said...

Should've tittled this a tale of two fishermen... I beleive if you'd had a dropper on all along and giving it some movement you'd have been catching fish from the get go.