Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hard Days Day

This video about sums up my day. Headed up LHF around noon, 55 deg. Gate still locked, water a bit high and off color. A few cars parked at the gate, I hiked in about a half hour or so, was hoping to get above anyone else fishing.... should've keep walking.
I tried all sorts of flies.. you name it. No hatches..no rises. I manged to land a couple small fish.. missed a few strikes while I was using a big Woolly Bugger. It seemed like it was just going to be one of those days that you wish to soon forget, one that makes the good days all the more sweet.

I fished for quite some time, covered a lot of water. I am getting a bit "tired" of fishing rough pocket water.. makes for hard casting and tough conditions, especially when the water is high, and the fish are not looking up. I long for something along the lines of "Hog Creek" were the water S curves through the sage, and deep runs are a plenty, and so are the big Cutts.. I know, I should be content with the muddy little stretch of ditch water that I angle. I feel I am probably done fishing until June, run-off is going to be a bear.. unless... I find some nice tail water... yes... perhaps...

3 comments:

The Gov'na said...

Testing your metal eh. That sounded like one of my many days on the fickle streams of the appalachian range. As I recall, our mentor had his fair share of bewildering days in the upper peninsula, so the student should not expect to have it better than the master. If you have many more of these, you will find that it serves to enhance your writing skills- hence the masters bemusing yarns!

Pablo said...

ok ok, well said...

Pablo said...

do you realize Gov'na that you've already logged half the total fishing days of 07? kudos to you.. keep up the good, i mean lack of work..