Sunday, April 1, 2012

Go Big or Go Home, sort of


Finally got out on LHF, Friday. Good day, fairly warm, some rising trout.  I did manage to lodge a fly (contest is to guess which fly) into my neck.  I succeeded in doing this trick with a roll cast that was grabbed by a gust of wind, bringing my fly to my left side, just as I was punching forward with the cast.  Of course, I had not debarbed my fly, a fleeting thought 4 minutes prior to this feat.  I surgically removed the fly using my hemostats and a loud yell.  Then I went big.  I tied on a big double Renegade, which brought rewards immediately.  I'm always surprised when a large gaudy fly brings the fish running. Landed a few others on this buggy looking thing, then found a run with a large Cutt patrolling.  He refused the Renegade, that's when I went small. I loved holding that Cutt in my hand, 13" maybe, colored like a two bit hooker. What great day.

3 comments:

The Gov'na said...

parachute Adams

The Gov'na said...

named of course after our great grandfather Adams, who developed the fly in the sierra nevada streams of his home waters around vacaville and grass valley, CA in the early 1900's.

so if you gotta impale yourself on a fly, good for it to be a family born one.

Pablo said...

ummm.. yah, that was it. The old Papa's para Adams.