Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rain and 40 Deg

Forecast called for mid 40's and rain, that sounds like the Togiak in July eh. So I packed gear the night before and got up early and made it to the Jfork by 8:20am. Surprise, Surprise, there were not 14 car loads waiting to get in today, hmmmm, wonder why. It was raining so hard I backed rightup to the Kibo at the lower horse trailer parking lot so I could change under the canopy. Both pairs of liners (polypro and 400wt camos), two pairs of wool socks and an extra neoprene booty over the sock foot of the wader, it was a little tight in the boot, but felt "OK" once it got wet. Hardest part was raising my knee high enough to get my boots on. With all that "stuff" down my waders, it limited the range of motion, but not a problem. Sweatshirt, 300wt fleece, wading jacket up top. Threw on a balaclava and man, that made a big difference, very warm head and neck. Only problem was my dang hood on the wading jacket kept getting down over my eyes, driving me crazy and of course my glasses kept fogging up, but I couldn't see anything anyway with it so dark and raining on the lenses. Eventually I figure out if I put my ballcap under the hood it kept it out of my face. The gloves where hard to get on, not sure I'll be able to wear polyprop liners under them, but they were actually warm and although we've debated the finger/thumb opening, I'm glad I've got them cause it's such a hassle to pull the gloves on and off, and actually you can blow into the holes and warm up your fingers a little.



Anyway, the fishing was tough. Couldn't see anything and with those gentle takes, I missed several fish. The vid explains the rest. Feet got just a little cold after 4 hours, not freezing or miserable, but they weren't warm anymore, not sure what the answer is there. More space in the boot might help. Also realized when I got out and changed clothes that my fleece was damp on the sleeves- that waterproof breathable just doesn't quite cut it, I wonder if there is a truly waterproof breathable jacket, maybe made out of the same stuff the waders are made out of??



Any way, that'll probably be my only "wet run" of the gear. No question I'll be in better shape than last year to cope with the weather, but I'm still hoping it's sunny and 65 all 8 days. Suite me to never even open my dry bag.

1 comment:

Pablo said...

Gov, way to gather beta on the gear. you're out freezing your butt off while I'm bopping around Cabelas trying on waders! Good man.