Monday, March 9, 2009

Rolling Clear Water


On the water by 1:30, back on the top section where I was Thursday. Immediately it was obvious that the weekend had produced a pounding. The holes where I took 10 fish now were visibly empty. Took a little while to get in the groove, but once I stopped "retail" fishing and just hitting the spots, the stream came alive, it actually felt more like a stream that size should with 1-2 fish in likely spots and some runs with no fish (at least not seen or caught). No need to do a blow by blow. The egg worked well, the takes where so subtle that several times I had a fish on for a second when I didn't know it and lost them because of no set. The water was gorgeous, very high and full, giving lots of cover. Found a really neat run backed up by a big windfall and after taking two specks on the drifting egg switched up to a lime trude and caught three more nice ones on a submerged strip. Two memorable moments: I got up into the bank and under trees to fish this one run and just as the egg was easing out into the current a big head flashed up and gently took it. I jerked my rod back right into a branch and the line went slack and he spit it out- combat fishing, you gotta love it. Later at another deep run a big head rose and opened his mouth like jaws. His head came completely out of the water with his mouthing gaping open and somehow I jerked the fly and he missed it completely, I swear I heard his teeth snap together. Don't know that I've ever seen such a gaping rise.

I met the friendly park ranger and he checked my license (doesn't even have a license Lisa- name that movie) and we had nice chat. He said he opened on Saturday and there were 15 "car loads" waiting at the gate at 8am. Said Sunday wasn't as bad... This is definitely a weekday thing. Even so, there were several fishermen out today, most of them older gentlemen that stayed closed to the bank and fished the big deep holes, so I had my pickins of the riffles and shallow stuff, which suited me fine.

On my way out an older fisherman approached and low and behold it was my old buddy Dennis from Mecklinberg IT. We had a nice chat, I hadn't seen him in 7 or 8 years and was surprised that his name came right to me, must be that spiritual fishing connection thing. He was actually right above me on the stream and told of taking a big brown on a woolly bugger after he'd hooked it three times and it got off. I told him about our AK adventure and he mused dreamily that his shot at AK had probably passed him buy but for some guided thing which he wasn't too fond of, I know I liked that guy!

So basking in the peace of a successful Monday jaunt and diet coke buzz, I merrily rode home, not a cloud in my mind. The rolling hills eased by, dotted with cows, old homes and delapidated barns, shirtless scraggly teenagers and old guys in trucks who we mutually nod and wave our hellos through our windshields like old friends as we zip past each other at 50 mhp, and all is right with the world. What a gift, what a blissful gift to have my mind empty of all concern. A free gift from rolling clear water and speckled little Salvelinus fontinalis.

1 comment:

Pablo said...

What I want to know is where in the hey did our country boy Gov learn Latin? And to use it so correctly?! Boy howdy, talk about a clear head indeed!
After shoveling myself out of TWO ft of snow today..(did you hear me?! TWO ft) I was warmed by the tall tale of our Southern Bro, basking in the glow of little brookies...all is indeed right with the world.
ps. the movie is "weird science" and do you hear my teeth snapping? with jealousy? oh yah, any self respecting (is that possible?) piscator ONLY fishes on weekdays, unless in AK or the backcountry..