Saturday, April 30, 2011

Best Fish, Worst Story

The story, our lives are about the stories. I wish this trout had a better story, it deserves a better story. It deserve a brutal slog through a torrential downpour, a long wait to spot it, an even longer cast and perfect swing to elicit the take and then the epic battle. What it got was a guide (yah, I know, how can there be a story with a guide on the unguided- my head is hanging in shame) motoring Steve and I over the "glory hole" with 8" spoons trolling 20 yards behind the boat. No sooner had we fixed our lines I started to tell about the last time I trolled for Stripers on Smith Mountain lake with a foul mouthed, idiot of a guide (there it is again) in a bitter wind for 8 hours....as soon I said, "I hate trolling" the rod in my hand jolted like I'd snagged a tree and instantaneously this rainbow began an acrobatic display fit for the cirque du soleil. It was incredible, and I admit I gave Steve STRICT instruction that his filming must not show the bait casting rod in my hands or the guide at the helm. Of course those were impossible orders and in the one shot you can even hear him say, "your going to have to SENSOR that, I think I got the pole in it". That is hysterical, Steve- what a great sport.

Ok, well, I guess this biggest 'Bo of mine does have a story- just not the one I would have like, but the one I got. And such is life- at least my life.




No comments: