Tuesday, March 13, 2007

First Day: 3-13-07, Left Hand BF.







Let just say...it's a true trout bum that begins his season by fishing on his wife's birthday! Yes, take note friends.


Nice day, nice day. Headed up the stream..68 degrees..though the Main fork of the river was a bit muddy...had me nervous. When I turned up the LH Fork, all the fears dissapated...clear water boys!


Even a small hatch of midges was coming off...but that didn't stop me from putting on a royal wulff and flinging away. First two casts found me in the trees..but I quickly recified that problem and landed the fly in the water.


It was SO nice to be out...I landed and missed several nice trout. Mostly browns..one cutt.


I even tried out my new digital camera that takes under water photos (jealous Hans?) Here's fish eye view...pretty cool eh? I tried sneaking up on some fish, to get their photo..but none would stick around, so I went back to catching them.


check em out--so I'm on the board, count me in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mick-ster
Hey, what's with the underwater picts, that is too cool! OK, I admit that my first swarey of the new season was not in pursuit of the king trout.. Alas, unlike my western brothers, I am 2 hours from trout waters... so I baled work at 4 (thank goodness for daylight savings time- BRILLIANT) and hit my old panfish haunt, catawba springs (aka golf course pond I discovered last year). Now that I carry all my gear in my trunk (have for the last 2.5 years) I can fly out whenever the mood hit me. I strung up while handling a personnel issue on the cell and stalked across the 16 green still sporting my tie. Gink and fly box stuffed in my suit pants and hemestats clamped to my belt (it is a country club after all).

Third cast with a big attracter and SLURP- a nice blue gill. A few more casts and nothing, but that's all it took, the zing of the line, the settling of the fly on still water and life is good again, I've survived another winter, the sky is the limit!

I find myself scheduling meetings in morganton or lenior in early afternoon so I can easily bale and be streamside.

Delayed harvest is in full swing so I may breakdown and land some chanel trout... but my heart pines for the little wild ones.